Here’s a nutritious recipe that can be a vegan entree, or you can add meat or shrimp, if you wish. The beauty of this dish is that you can also be inventive, adding a little of this or that in your refrigerator. Have fun with it!
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- small onion, sliced
- small zucchini or summer squash, cubed or sliced
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, defrosted
- 1/3 cup chopped unsalted cashews
- 1/3 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 fresh pineapple sliced into chunks
- 1 head black garlic cloves, removed from skins (chop, if desired)
- 1 Tablespoon sesame oil
- Tamari, to taste
- Cook rice according to directions, or use 2 cups leftover cooked rice.
- Heat large frying pan with a little vegetable oil to coat bottom of pan.
- Quickly sautee onion and zucchini or summer squash.
- Add peas and stir for about a minute.
- Add cooked rice and stir gently to mix everything well. Add more oil, if necessary to prevent sticking and stir fry for several minutes until rice begins to brown.
- Add remaining ingredients, gently mixing. Cook a few more minutes until everything is heated through.
Don’t like zucchini or summer squash instead? Add bok choy or broccoli. Or add bean sprouts, carrots, or other types of nuts. Consider scrambling an egg or two into the frying pan while you are sauteeing the onion. Or add cooked shrimp, cubed cooked chicken, or other meat of your choice after you have sauteed the vegetables.
Don’t be afraid to experiment! It’s hard to go wrong with fried rice, as long as you like each of the ingredients that you use. The black garlic gives the whole thing a unique, gourmet touch!